Amy Skirvin, Principal
“Happy Friday!” – updated October 18, 2019
Good Things/New Stuff
- Conferences are next week! There are no scheduled times to meet with teachers during conferences. Instead we have open office hours for parents to drop in and speak with teachers. Both Wednesday and Thursday evening (October 23 and 24) all teachers will be in the MP room and available to meet with students and parents from 5-8PM. On Thursday, teachers will be available in their classrooms from 8AM-11:30AM and 1PM-4PM for parents and students to drop in. There will be No School on Thursday October 24 and No School Friday October 25. The entire building will be closed on Friday the 25th.
- There will be a field trip to the Newport College/Career Fair on October 23rd for high school students. Students will be at the fair from 9:00 to 10:00. There is a large list of colleges, tech schools and other agents who will be at the fair.
- After school and early release expectations for students: There have been some issues with student behavior after school hours and hanging out where they are not supposed to be. As a reminder, students are expected to go home after school especially early release days. If a student is participating in practice or a game they must be supervised by their coaches in a designated area until practice or the game. If coaches are not available, students must leave campus. If students are just waiting to watch a game, they must leave campus until the game starts and proper supervision is available. The main issues have been Wednesdays and Fridays. If you would like to volunteer to supervise students in a designated area please contact the main office.
- Middle School Girls Basketball will start practice on Monday October 28th after school. (MS Boys basketball will start in January). The first game is scheduled for Monday November 4th (See the draft schedule below). In order for athletes to be eligible to practice the following must be completed prior to Monday October 28th:
- Both student and parent fill out the online participation form at https://waldport.lincoln.k12.or.us/athletics/athletic-sign-up/ (this is one time for the entire year as long as you checked multiple sports)
- Student completes the concussion assessment (this is one time for the entire year: cross country and volleyball already completed)
- Updated sports physical.These are good for 2 years from the date it’s completed by a doctor.
- Payment of $100. Pay online here. Sign in with your PIV and password. Click on your student; shop items at student’s school; athletic participation fee; and select BUY for the sport you are choosing. Click check out and make your purchase.
- Student Fees: an email has been sent out to parents/guardians who have outstanding student fees. To pay online; please go to the Waldport High School website and click the $ on the upper right corner. Or CLICK HERE.Click on STUDENT FEES; Enter your PIV # and password. If you don’t have your PIV, please contact the main office 541-563-3243 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Once you are signed in; you can select your child on your account. There is a red alert at the top if you owe any fees and you can click on that. On your child’s account under SHOP you can click PAY FINES/FEES or you can click ITEMS AT STUDENT’S SCHOOL to pay athletic fees. BUY your items and check out.
- High School Graduation Time/Date Change from district calendar. In order to accommodate all Lincoln County families, residents, and staff, the graduations at Taft, Toledo, Waldport and Newport will be staggered to allow everyone to attend all four. Waldport High School graduation will be on Friday June 5th at 6:30PM.
- The OCCC Student Nurse Organization (SNO) is coordinating the 11th annual hygiene supply drive to support LCSD students through the HELP Centers located in Newport, Toledo, Waldport and Lincoln City.
- Hygiene drive locations, dates and times:
- Fred Meyer Newport October 19th 9 – 3pm
- The Hygiene Drive is an annual event sponsored by
- Oregon Coast Community College Student Nurse Organization
- Questions? Please contact OCCC SNO (541)867-8548
- Hygiene drive locations, dates and times:
- ASPIRE Program:
- For Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshmen. Sign up at the counseling office or the WHS Aspire Room. For more information Contact Sharon McCrum, ASPIRE Coordinator, at 541-961-7478 or email@example.com
- Want to be a mentor? Need more information about being a mentor? Contact Sharon McCrum, ASPIRE Coordinator, at 541-961-7478 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waldport Community Library: TEEN SCREAM NIGHT 2019; Monday October 28 from 7-9PM for 5th-HS students.
- October is the best month for flu shots to have the most effective impact on minimizing flu according to Julie Turner, our District Nurse. Waldport: Wednesday Oct 23: Seashore Literacy Center 10AM-2PM.
- Waldport Middle and High School received a grant to bring Challenge Day to all 7th-12th grade students and staff. In order to make this event happen, we are going to need several volunteers. Each day we need 25 adults total. The dates are December 2, 3, and 4th. If you are willing to participate and have a cleared background check, please let me know ASAP email@example.com You can click here to fill out the paperwork to become a volunteer. UPDATE! Thank you to all those that have volunteered. We are still needing 5 more adults for December 4th. Thank you!
- We have a field trip to the Newport College/Career Fair on October 23rd. We will be at the fair from 9:00 to 10:00. There is a large list of colleges, tech schools and other agents who will be at the fair. We have only one bus, so seating is first come, first served. Permission forms will be available in the office starting Monday and must be handed in by 10/18.
- The November 2nd SAT will be at Taft High School. The deadline to register is October 22nd. Please have your student stop by the school counseling office for a fee waiver. The December 7th SAT will be at Newport HS> Any junior who has already taken Geometry should consider taking the SAT this fall. They will have an opportunity to take it again in March at Waldport, but taking it in the fall first is the best idea. Any senior who only has one ACT score should also consider taking the November SAT. Any questions, please see the school counselor.
- The FAFSA is open. The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If your student is a senior and considering attending community college or a 4 year school, you should complete the FAFSA now. The website is: fafsa.ed.gov We will have an information session during conferences for any interested parents to go over the FAFSA. log on to fafsa.ed.gov to begin the process today!
- VFW Voice of Democracy essay scholarship is a chance to win $30,000 for college. The scholarship is open to any student in grades 9-12. Here is the link to apply:
https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships DUE October 31, 2019
- The VFW Patriot’s Pen Essay Contest is open to all students in grades 6-8. Here is the link: https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships DUE October 31, 2019
- Hollywood Lights, Inc. is excited to announce our 2019-20 Theatre Scholarship Program. We’re looking for talented high school seniors who have a passion for theatre performance, design, and tech who want to pursue a career in that field.
- 2020 Oregon Community Leadership Scholarship application is now live: http://harringtonfamilyfoundation.slideroom.com Established in 2014 by Oregon native and former NFL quarterback, Joey Harrington, the four-year renewable scholarship is awarded each spring to four Oregon high school students who are emerging leaders and plan to continue their education at an in-state college or trade school. Four scholarships will be issued for the 2020/21 academic year. Each scholarship is worth $4,000 per year for a total commitment of $16,000 per student. To learn more about HFF’s mission visit harringtonfamilyfoundation.org. To be considered, applicants must submit a completed application online, which includes a one-page personal essay and two letters of recommendation. Transcripts are not required, nor requested by HFF. There is no application fee. The application deadline for the 2020 academic year is March 6, 2020. Scholarship recipients will be notified via phone by the first week of April 2020. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Madeline Guzzo: firstname.lastname@example.org
- November 8th at Noon – Moose Youth Awareness Scholarship Orientation in the WHS Library – open to all high school students.
- Please see the attached info about the Seneca’s $10,000 college scholarship for students of Oregon! Application Due March 1
- Forestry @ Tillamook October 26
- MS Girls Basketball Practice Starts – October 28
- Fall Music Concert – Nov 5
- ASVAB Testing – Nov 6
- Hispanic Family Night @ CVH 6-7PM – Nov 7
- Veteran’s Day No School – Nov 11
- High School Fall Sports Booster Awards – Nov 12 6:30PM
- School Board Meeting Nov 12 6:30PM @ Toledo Jr/Sr High School
- 1st Day of Winter Sports – Nov 18
- No School Nov 27-29 Thanksgiving Break
- Challenge Day – Dec 2-4
- Cap and Gown Orders – Dec 6 @ Lunch
- School Board Meeting Nov 12 6:30PM @ Newport HS
- Winter Break Dec 23 – Jan 3
Have a great weekend!
Mrs. Amy Skirvin
541-563-3243 x 310 Office
Below are the High School and Middle School Sports Schedules. For a more accurate high school schedule please visit http://www.osaa.org/schools/271
*Schedule is likely to have adjustments. Contests may be modified, added, or cancelled. Please contact the coach if there are any questions.
HS Soccer Schedule
Oct 23 – vs Central
Oct 26 – @ Creswell
Oct 28 – vs Corvallis *Senior Night
HS XC Schedule
Oct 24 – @ Siuslaw
Oct 31 – @ Lebanon (District Championships)
Nov 9 – @ Eugene (State Championships)
HS Volleyball Schedule
Oct 22 – vs Myrtle Point *Senior Night
Oct 24 – @ Coquille
HS Football Schedule
Oct 25 – vs Siletz *Senior Night
Oct 28 – JV Home TBD
Nov 1 – Crossover Game
MS Volleyball Schedule
Oct 28 – @ Alsea 4:30PM
Oct 29 – vs Taft 4:30PM – NEW DATE
MS Football Schedule
Oct 23 – @ Yoncolla TBA
MS Girls Basketball Schedule *DRAFT (subject to change)
Nov 4 – Home 4/5:15PM
Nov 7 – vs Siuslaw 4/5:15PM
Nov 12 – vs Myrtle Point 4/5:15PM
Nov 15-16 – @ Coquille Tourney TBA
Nov 19 – vs Coos Bay 4/5:15PM
Nov 21 – @ Brookings 4/5:15PM
Nov 25 – @ Coquille 4/5:15PM
Dec 3 – @ North Bend 4/5:15PM
Dec 6-7 – @ Siuslaw Tourney TBA
Dec 11 – @ Siuslaw 4/5:15PM
Dec 12 – @ Coquille 4/5:15PM
Dec 9 – @ Bandon 4/5:15PM
Dec 16 – vs Myrtle Point 4/5:15PM