Amy Skirvin, Principal
“Happy Friday!” – updated February 15, 2019
Good Things/New Stuff
- Reminder! No School on Monday – President’s Day – February 18th
- There will be a HS Valentine’s Dance on Saturday February 16th from 8-11PM in the MP room, concessions will be open.
- Winter Sports Recognition Ceremony will be Monday February 25th 6-7:30PM in the MP Room.
- Spring Sports are right around the corner. First practice is February 25th – get your paperwork and fees turned in!
- Seafood and Wine Festival is coming up! (February 22-24) if you are wanting to work to help support the Booster’s please contact Diana MacKenzie to sign up. This is one of their big fundraisers.
- ASPIRE will be starting at Waldport High School beginning of the second semester. Sharon McCrum is looking for ASPIRE mentors. Please contact her if you are interested.
- FEMA Region 10 is hosting a youth Preparedness camp this summer. If you know kids in grades 8-12 who are excited about preparedness, please feel free to share this with them. All the information is at this link: https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2019/02/06/region-x/fema-region-10-host-first-regional-youth-preparedness-camp
- Free Cooking Matters Teen Cooking Class. Students ages 12-17 years old on Tuesdays (March 5, 12, 19 and April 2, 9, 16 from 6-8PM) For more information or to register contact Sommer McLeish, C.H.E.F. County Coordinator email@example.com or 541-5576215
- The site council met this week and we are in the process of planning a parent outreach night on Monday March 4th from 6:30-8PM. More details to come, but please mark your calendar!
- My name is Gabi Johnson and I am the coordinator for High Desert Youth Range Camp, a 4 day natural resources hands on experience for high school aged youth, incoming freshmen to graduating seniors. They spend 4 days learning from experts in the sagebrush steppe ecosystem, everything from soils to plants to animal grazing, and so many things in between. There are also opportunities for hiking, night activities, GPS instruction, with a lot of great food and prizes, all while camped in the gorgeous high desert!! One of the biggest perks about camp? They earn 2 college credits while here, and it only costs $50. For the whole camp! I am looking for your help to spread the word to all eligible ages via school announcements, passing this along to your science, natural resource, forestry and agricultural teachers, to student e-mails, and if you send announcement emails to parents. This is an amazing opportunity for students to experience a different ecosystem, learn about the environment, as well as meet people from all over the Pacific northwest. In past years we have had campers from as far as Seattle, WA and north central Idaho. Space is limited and applications are due by May 1st. I have attached the poster and registration form, please feel free to forward these along and post where students will see. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions, and thanks so much for your help! Gabi Johnson, HDYRC coordinator, 541.589.1239
- Waldport Library Young Writers Competition 2019. See the attached fliers.
- Senior Parents are hosting a can and bottle drive at Ray’s on Saturday February 16th from 10AM-3PM.
- 2019 OFWC Fine Arts Scholarship Contest http://www.oregongfwc.org/fine-arts-scholarships.html
- Brought to you by Toyota and Discovery Education, students who create a 30-60 second safe driving PSA for the TeenDrive365 Video Challenge have a chance at some incredible prizes:
First Place: $15,000 and the chance to work with a Discovery Film crew to re-shoot their video into a TV-ready PSA
Second Place: $10,000
Third Place: $7,500
Fourth through Tenth Place: $2,500
People’s Choice: $5,000
Four Regional Winners: $1,000
Encourage teens to grab a camera, finalize their scripts, and start filming for a chance at up to $15,000. The entry deadline is February 28th, 2019! To learn more, view rules and FAQ’s, and register, send your students here.
- COSA Scholarships Each year COSA sponsors or assists in processing twelve $1,000 college scholarships. These scholarships are for Oregon high school seniors attending 2 or 4 year Oregon colleges. The applications must be postmarked by March 1, 2019.
- OASSA Scholarships Two $1,000 scholarships are awarded each year to graduating seniors from Oregon public high schools. The scholarships may be used for a 2– or 4–year university, trade, or professional/technical school. These two scholarships are for a son, daughter, or dependent child of an OASSA member who meet the criteria listed on the application. The applications must be postmarked by March 20, 2019.
- CLICK HERE to view more information and access the COSA and OASSA Scholarship applications.
- Fine arts scholarships: https://www.oregongfwc.org/fine-arts-scholarships.html
- Oregon Promise: The Oregon Promise application is currently open.
- ACT Testing http://www.act.org/
|Test Date||Registration Deadline||(Late Fee Required)|
|April 13, 2019||March 8, 2019||March 9-25, 2019|
|June 8, 2019||May 3, 2019||May 4-20, 2019|
|July 13, 2019*||June 14, 2019||June 15-24, 2019|
- SAT Testing https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat
|SAT Date||SAT Subject Tests Available||Registration Deadline||Late Registration Deadline||Deadline for Changes|
|May 4, 2019||See SAT Subject Tests available on this date||April 5, 2019||April 16, 2019 (for mailed registrations)
April 24, 2019 (for registrations made online or by phone)
|April 24, 2019|
|June 1, 2019||See SAT Subject Tests available on this date||May 3, 2019||May 14, 2019 (for mailed registrations)
May 22, 2019 (for registrations made online or by phone)
|May 22, 2019|
- No School February 18 – Presidents Day
- Site Council – February 19 3:30PM
- HOPE floats field trip – Reed – February 21
- Oregon Logging Conference – February 22 – Forestry All Day
- First day for spring sports – February 25
- HOPE floats field trip – Reed – February 28
- Forestry Skills Day @ Knappa – March 2
- Parent Outreach – March 4 6:30-8PM
- HOPE floats field trip – Reed – March 7
- Oregon Healthy Teen Survey – 8th and 11th grade March 7 & 8
- Forestry Skills Day @ Sweet Home – March 9
- School Board Meeting 7PM @ Toledo Elementary – March 12
- Senior Cap and Gown Photos – March 14th at 10AM
- Forestry Skills Day @ Philomath – March 16
- Joy Club Field Trip @ Albany – March 20
- WHS Science & Natural Resources International Day of Forestry Field Day – March 22
- Spring Break – March 25-29
- Active Shooter Training – March 26 8AM-5PM – no one in the building!
- Forestry Skills Day @ Clatskanie – April 6
- School Board Meeting 7PM @ Taft HS – April 9
- Fire School – April 10-12 – Skirvin
- OCCC CTE Day @ Newport – Barnes – April 15th
- Joy Club Field Trip – April 17 Newport CSC
- First Responder Career Fair – April 24 (MS/HS Lunch)
- Conferences April 24 (5-8PM) & April 25 (8AM-8PM)
- Forestry (FNRL) State @ Hopkins – April 26 & 27
- Prom April 27 8-11PM
- Joy Club Field Trip – May 15 Yachats
- Joy Club Field Trip – May 29 Newport
Have a great weekend!
Mrs. Amy Skirvin
541-563-3243 x 310 Office